Monday, August 5, 2013

Another thing that keeps us busy...



   Some day, Becca and I would like a little shop…

 "Ah, you've got a little shop. I like a little shop!"

 -The Doctor (episode: Smith and Jones)

 What would we sell in our little shop? Oh, lot's of things! Vintage furniture we fix up, fun pillows and wall hangings we make, stuff like that!
   When we first started thinking of the idea, there was even a storefront for sale on our very own main street in town. We told our dad about the little shop idea, and he (being very practical), told us before we started investing money in a building, we should start getting an inventory and building a costumer base. Well, I was a little disappointed that we couldn't have a shop right away, but I was very thankful for Dad's logical advice.

  So, we are working on inventory and exploring outlets to sell like craft shows, and maybe asking other local shops if they would take some of our pieces as consignment.

 But we are still getting ahead of ourselves. Finding cute, retro or antique furniture pieces at good prices is hard! But when we do find something, it is so fun to look at it, and figure out how to redesign it.  So far, we have five chairs (all in different stages of disrepair), a coffee table, an end table/record table (to hold all your groovy vinyl records) and a sturdy (but kind of sad looking) little rocking horse. Yup, that's it…

  We thought it would be fun to post about the different pieces as we get them finished, explain what we did and what different techniques we learned along the way.  So here we go!


   First completed furniture piece:  Chair
Done by: Beth
Cost: I bought the chair at a restore for $5



It looked kind of sad, didn't it? But it was sturdy, and the wood was in good shape. I love the carved back and the shape of the seat.

  The hand caned seat needed to replaced, and I had no idea how to do that.  Some simple research on the web led me to a site where you could buy a kit that had everything you need + instructions.  the only problem was that it cost around $35 dollars….
  I had to do some more research on the chair itself, and what it was worth, and if it was worth putting that much into it.
  Here's what I found. The design of the chair points to the victorian era, meaning that it's over one hundred years old!  Cool, right?  The seat also means that it was made before they stopped hand weaving the seats and a machine took over.  On eBay, chairs similar to mine were selling for between $70 to $100 dollars.  And I bought mine for $5 (I love thrift stores!).

  So I ordered the kit, and set to work.  Actually I began by sanding it down and painting it.  For some reason I forgot to take a picture of that step… Then I started on the seat.  The caning has to be soaked in order to keep it flexible, and constantly spritzed with water while you are working on it.
  It really wasn't to hard. Just back and forth, up and down, repeat, then diagonally from back left corner to the front right corner, and then back right corner to the front left corner, weaving over and under my previous rows. Of course it goes much slower then it takes to say it  :) I think I worked on it on and off for 4 or 5 days to finish it.

     And now for the reveal…………



I roughed up the edges with some sandpaper to give it a bit of distressed look, then put a couple coats of polyurethane on to seal it. 


On to the next piece!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a lovely idea!!! I hope you can get it up and running. If so and if I'm ever in the area I'd drop by. I love little shoppes!
    And you did very good on the chair. It is lovely!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. It was nice to hear from you - and led me to your blog which I know I shall enjoy reading!

    I agree about the 12th Doctor, there is a huge age gap between him and Matt Smith. But, like you, I was just SOOO happy he was a he! The rumors that there was a strong chance they'd cast a girl had me worried. (He's been a he for 50 years, it would be too weird if they cast a girl.)
    I am looking forward to the 50th as well! I haven't seen the Classics yet where he meets himself, and I think it will be a lot of fun to watch. Also, I like David Tennent too 8-D I was sad 9 wasn't coming back as well though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been fun for all three doctors from the restart to be together... But would there be two of Rose then? Since she was his first companion, and she is going to be with Ten...hmmm... I just thought of that!
      Thank you for coming to our blog!
      -Bethany

      Delete

Greetings!
We love hearing comments and remarks, so leave us a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...