Thursday, June 20, 2013

Snickerdoodles

by: Bethany

  Bad, bad me… With my family suffering from colds, what do I decide to make today?

Cookies!


Not that they won't appreciate them, it's just that sugar won't exactly help their immune systems  :)
 But there's a reason I'm making them; actually three. 
   First, we (Mom, Becca, and I) are going on a mini road trip tomorrow to meet a friend, and cookies are good snacks for in the car.
  Second, we are babysitting 5 little friends this afternoon, and they would also enjoy them.
  Third, there's a bag of cinnamon chips in the pantry just begging to be made into something delicious.
  So you see, I just have to make cookies  :)


  We have found that snickerdoodles become even more awesome when you add cinnamon chips. By the way, why are they called snickerdoodles? Hold on a second and I'll go look it up…..
   
  Ok, I'm back. Here's what wikipedia says:  The Joy of Cooking claims that snickerdoodles are probably German in origin, and that the name is a corruption of the German word Schneckennudeln ("snail noodles"), a kind of pastry. It is also possible that the name is simply a nonsense word with no particular meaning, originating from a New England tradition of whimsical cookie names.

Hmmm… snail noodles? I think someone probably made it up on a whim. Alright, back to the recipe. Because everyone is sick, I'll make these the healthiest cookies ever, or at least I'll try :)


Ingredients:

1 cup coconut oil
 (either expeller pressed, which doesn't taste like anything, or virgin, which has a strong coconut flavor. I made a batch of both, and they are equally yummy)
1 1/2 cups natural sugar (I used light brown muscovado)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 cups wheat flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups cinnamon chips
3 Tbsp, natural sugar and 3 tsp. cinnamon mixed in a large shallow bowl or plate.

Cream together oil and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla, and blend well. Then add flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon chips. Mix well, then shape dough into 1" balls and roll in cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.      


(Becca [the photographer]: Yum! yum! yum!)

Enjoy your Snail Noodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings!
We love hearing comments and remarks, so leave us a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...