Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Bethany's Car


  I bought my very first car this weekend! 

A 1961 Ford Falcon

 Actually, this isn't the car I bought, but it was the first car I fell in love with. It was so cute with it's retro body style and powder blue color, but it was lacking a few crucial features like seat belts, AC, and an automatic transmission (well, I could have learned how to use a stick shift). Needless to say, I couldn't choose a car simply on looks.   :)

This is what I really bought.

It's a 2003 Ford Focus hatchback.



I've been keeping an eye out for an affordable vehicle for a while, but nothing has seemed to fit.
I wanted something that would have space to haul furniture, but I also didn't want something big that would be a gas guzzler. 
This one is a nice compromise because it gets great gas milage, and yet it has more room in the back then a normal car.


It's nothing fancy; no power windows, automatic locks, or keyless entry, but it has more important things like heat, air conditioning, and a nice radio and CD player.  :)



The back seats fold flat…


…like so, making lots of room.

I left the smily face on the windshield from the dealership.
Just a little thing I found at a pawn shop, even before I had a
car window to hang it in.  :)





I've discovered that there are a lot more expenses to owning a car besides the usual gas, getting license plates, and things.  Like, the key was really worn so I needed to get a replacement made.  I went to our local hardware store yesterday, and found since this key has a microchip in it, they could make a copy but it would only open the doors and not start the car. 
Sigh…. Suddenly a $3 key turned into a $60 key.
Then last night when I got off work, I got in my car, started the ignition, and turned on the head lights. I expected some lights to go on so I could see what I was doing, but nope, nothing. I peered down at the shifter and cautiously put the car into what I thought was reverse. Yes! Alright, now into drive…How many notches down is that? Two, into neutral, then into drive.  I was good to go, but still wondering why everything was so dark. Shouldn't I be able to see my speedometer?
When I got home, I told my dad and he figured it was a short somewhere. He's ordered a new piece (another $80) and we will save some money by putting it in ourselves. It will be fun to fix it with Dad, but it is yet another unexpected expense.
Oh well, I guess it's just a part of growing up.


6 comments:

  1. It must be fun having your own car. My dad does some salvage work and we got a Ford falcon here recently. Just ours is a 69' and is white. We plan to fix it up to sell. Keturah

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds neat! My dad would love a project car, but right now the garage is filled with project furniture :)

    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! It looks nice and really useful with all that space. Sorry about the extra expense though :/

    I don't get my own car, I'm just going to inherit my grandad's old pickup, but I'd love to be able to pick out something of my own like that first one you found.

    I like the colouring of that last photo, it looks bright and retro. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old pickups are neat too, what color is it?
      -Bethany

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your first car! I've yet to pass that milestone, but when I do, I want a pick-up truck. Nothing big and fancy, just something I can use for hauling my sheep and hay around:)
    Thanks for visiting, commenting, and following my blog! I'm so excited to meet fellow home-makers and Whovians!! :D And I'm now following your blog. I love it so far!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings!
We love hearing comments and remarks, so leave us a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...