Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Classic book tag



Helllooooo! Keturah is drawing us out of retirement by tagging us for the Classic Blog party, and man are we late to the party.... 





What is one classic that hasn’t been made into a movie yet, but really needs to? 
Oh man, there are so many books that I've wanted as movies. Keturah said "Emily of New Moon" series, and I agree! Anne is sweet and all but she gets all the attention! Someone should notice how popular that genre is and introduce a fresh face to the public. I think if it was done justice, it would be well received. It was made into a Canadian TV series in the 90s. They gave it a darker more depressing take than I thought the original story conveyed. It is more somber at times than the Anne Series - but Anne's story wasn't all lollipops and sunshine, it was the way she decided to view it. Despite the unfortunate circumstances that surround Emily - I never read the books thinking how depressing it was, instead you see the main character endure and stay hopeful. It reads more like an adventure and mystery from her point of view.

My other choice would be "Song of Years" by Bess Streeter Aldrich, and "Keeper of the Bees" by Gene Stratton Porter. The latter has been made into a movie, but it was terrible. You can find it on Youtube. It lost so much depth that the book had, and it changed plot points or skipped them altogether. If done correctly it would have beautiful cinematography and setting, a spitfire little kid playing "Scout", a strong and sympathetic actor who is contemplating his impending death and the meaning of life, and suspense and mystery surrounding a dark haired girl.... :)
"Song of Years" would be such a sweet movie, one of those family classics like "Little Women" I think. It's focused on a large family ( All girls ) and the new neighbor ( handsome young man) during the pioneer days in Iowa. Each character has their own story along the way and it shows a family grow and change over the years.

Those of you who have my post on The Firm of Girdlestone know my answer to this one. :) Oh! And The Red House Mystery by A. A. Milne.


What draws you to classics?
There's a depth in older books that cant be found in our modern stories. The way people used to write, think and talk just feels miles away from our time. They pondered more, used a more complex vocabulary to communicate their thoughts and feelings... it really helps me slow down and take a break from hyperactive and shallow form of thoughts/communication of the internet. It's an exercise for my short attention span. :)

   I second that. :) Also, I love reading about the daily life of characters from historical periods, in a more personal perspective then reading about that time period in a history book, or even a fiction book written in that setting, but by a modern author. 


What is an underrated classic? 
This answer may sound off-topic, but I would say, the Bible. It's easy to pick it up for 15 mins of so every morning, memorize a sentence here or there, or following along on Sunday mornings. But do we read it like we read other books? Obviously the Bible is in whole other category, but if we read it the same way we devour favorite books, in one sitting at times, the Bible should/and is just as engaging if we give it our time.
Starting small, the NT letters - they were read to the churches in one sitting. Try reading a letter a day, or as much as your time allows. It's so refreshing and you realize how alive it is; the oldest "classic" in print is what we need for today.

   Wow, Becca, you are taking all the good answers. :) I would agree with that too, but also add a little know book called A Fool of Nature, by Julian Hawthorne. Becca bought the book because it had a pretty cover, but I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed the story it held. Fun fact, the author is the son of Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Julian wrote this story for a contest, winning more money then his father made in his whole writing career. 


What is one classic that you didn’t expect to love, but ended up loving anyway? 
Jane Eyre. I distinctly remember having to read classics for school, and had finished Pride and Prejudice. I was disappointed, it confused me ( why on earth did they call Elizabeth like 3 or 4 different names with no context? I never knew if it was a new character or not. ) I should probably give it another try after nearly 10 years....
I though Jane Eyre would be another dry and confusing old book, and I was happily surprised. I remember really enjoying that book, it made sense to me, I could see it as I read. It was filled with excitement, a romance that I could follow, and engaging and sympathetic characters. It renewed my hope in classics :)
I also enjoyed Sense and Sensibility, I must have read that around the same time - but again it was for whatever reason I could really see and understand the plot and characters. Maybe it was because I could relate so well with them... :)

   I remember having the same feelings about Jane Eyre. Another one is Bleak House, by Charles Dickens. I was familiar with the story from the BBC mini series, but loved reading it and getting the whole depth of the story and characters. 


What is your most favorite and least favorite classics? 
I feel like I've already answered this question in a couple ways.... And I haven't read any classics recently that I didn't like. Any others are slipping my memory...

Oh! This also may be a bit off course, but I wouldn't be a proper Preschool teacher if I didn't mention a children's book! :)

Marshmallow, by Clare Turlay Newberry is such a gem! It's about a bunny :) She wrote other stories too, we have another about a kitten, titled "Smudge"




Published in 1942, it may not be as old as some, but I still think it's a classic! :) 

The Horatio Hornblower series answers both sides of this question for me. :) The first books I love, and the later ones.... not so much. More favorites are North and South, by Elizabeth Gaskell, Northanger Abby, by Jane Austen, and Watership Down by Richard Adams....is that one a classic. Other least favorites, anything by Shakespeare :P

What is your favorite character from a classic? Or if that is too hard, one is your favorite classic character trope (e.g. strong and silent, quiet sidekick, etc.) 

How about the main characters of all the books I've mentioned so far? :)

 I really like Esther Summerfeld from Bleak House. She is so selfless and kind, despite her past. 

What’s a popular classic that you felt wasn’t actually that great? 
Still not 100% sold on Pride and Prejudice, but again maybe reading it as an adult I'd feel differently.

Hmmm..... The Great Gatsby. At least, the story line from the movie wasn't that great, Mom let us skip reading the book. :P 

Who is your favorite classic author? 
L.M. Montgomery, Bess Streeter Aldrich, Gene Stratton Porter.

I will add Charles Dickens, Elizabeth Gaskell,  George Elliot, C. S. Lewis, and J. R.R. Tolkien 

In your opinion, what makes a classic a classic? 

I think between the setting, characters and plot - there should be something relatable to everyone and every age. Maybe it's finding a home, a family, love, or navigating the changes of life, there needs to be an element that spans all generations.

Ditto :)

Relating to newer books, what attributes does a book need to have in order to be worthy of the title “classic”? 

Um... didn't I just answer this? There are plenty of books that came to mind while answering these questions, but weren't old enough to be counted as "Classics". But I think if its a story that lingers in your mind for years after and you want to read it again and share it with your children.... I'd call that a classic.

   *applause*




        Do we need to tag anyone? Or just say, if you would like to answer some of theses questions in the comments, we would love you read your answers! Or steal the post for yourself :) And send us a link in the comments.


    Those of you who follow me on instagram know that Shawn and I are expecting a baby girl in January!!! And Becca is going to be an amazing aunt!!! 

Hopefully we'll be able to pass down our love of reading, because there's a lot of great books out there!




2 comments:

  1. ahhhh I'm so glad you did it, and I thoroughly enjoyed your answers.
    But do you see what I meant when I said in my post that there are so many movies I'd probably pick a book that'd already been made into a movie?
    I had no idea there was a show for Emily of Newmoon already. But I'm sad to hear it's so dark ;/

    I feel I've read something of Aldrich's, but I can't be sure.
    I love how much depth this post had ;)
    And that bunny book is adorable!

    MB: keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB: thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Answers! I've avoided classics for so long, but I'm starting to read some.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings!
We love hearing comments and remarks, so leave us a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...