Friday, January 30, 2015

"It's like mopping the floor with a goldfish!"

By Becca
Hello everyone!

Hi Mom! 

The time seems to be flying by, I can't believe January is nearly over!

Saturday night the school went ice skating.  Well, probably not the whole school... but there were a lot of people!  Back home, Beth and I would go ice skating with our homeschool group.  They helped teach me how to skate and encouraged me to let go of the wall. :)

Here, things were a bit different.  The rink was a lot bigger then the one at home, and after a lap or two around the rink they turned the lights off!  That scared me at first. Then they had colored lights all blinking and dancing on the ice, and played 50's music over the loudspeakers.

We had a blast!

It was a bit tricky with so many people, but I didn't fall down...though there was a close call.

Near the end, there was so much shaved ice from the skating that you could make snow balls.
So we did.  
 College kids are so mature. :)



Here are some pictures Beth took from the bleachers.
I'm the blurry figure in the middle. :)


Would you believe that it got up to 70 degrees here this week?
Not the kind of January weather we're used to.

After Sunday morning services, Beth and I stepped outside into the beautiful weather and decided we could squeeze in a photo-shoot of our cute Sunday outfits before lunch.

There is a old train car a block away from our dorm, and we thought that would be a fun backdrop.

Top: Eshakti 
Skirt: Thrifted
Tights: Target
Boots: Thrifted
Hobbit Door Necklace: Pocket of Whimsy

Beth popping in here. :)

I've only ordered a few things from eShakti, but every once in a while they send me coupons. So, after Christmas, I received one, and searching through the overstock, I found this shirt! I loved the cut and details so much, and the coupon covered everything but shipping! It was an awesome find!
Because it reminds me of something rather elvish/Middle Earth in style, I wore my hobbit door necklace with it. 


Dress: Herbergers
Cardigan: Herbergers
Underskirt: Thrifted
Tights: Gifted
Shoes: Thrifted

 Becca is back!

This outfit is a favorite of mine. The fabric of the dress is really soft and comfortable, and the classic print mixes well with bright colors. The skirt length is a tad to short for me, but a ruffly skirt helps add volume as well as length.

Other updates:

One of my roommates also likes to write, and this week she got together some of the other writers in the school to attempt a NaNoWriMo for February.

We have never done it before, but we thought it would be fun with a group of friends that you see everyday. And it's only writing at least 1,600 words a day, right? Well, we're giving it a go, and it should be good no matter if we get to 50,000 words or not.

We were introduced to a very fun game called Encore.
Basicaly, two teams get a word or a theme, (example: Songs with the word "bird", or songs about cities) and have to try to think of as many songs that fit, taking turns singing them. If a team can't think of a song fast enough, the other team wins the round. With our knowledge of songs from bygone decades, we did get a few strange looks, but also found some others who knew some favorite weird songs like, "Birdhouse in Your Soul", and "Tie Me Kangaroo Down".  It was much fun. :)

Quote is from one of Beth's dish duty team members. For sanitary reasons, we have to dry dishes with paper towels, and the comparison was made that it was as difficult as mopping the floor with a goldfish. :)

So long for now!


10 comments:

  1. Love both of your outfits! Beth, I love your green top. I recently discovered eshaki and love their clothes (though I haven't bought anything yet). Oh, an I also am loving the Robin Hood gif at the end:)
    -Madison
    www.1minniemuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Madison! eShakti is such a fun site, and they have some pretty good sales too!
      You're a Robin Hood fan too? How fun!

      Delete
  2. It looks like I should check your blog on days that end in "y." (Hey, there's a theme for your next Encore game. :-P)

    Neat photos with the train -- and looking good.*

    I was like, "Oh, skating!" I've never been on ice, but my sister used to skate regularly, and still does on occasion. I'd like to think I was a champ on the roller ones though -- old school, 4-wheels. :^)

    Of course the picture was blurry when you're going fast! ;-)

    BTW, I came back here planning to reply to the reply you, Becca, left on my last comment. I saw it a week or more ago, but wanted to "investigate" how I found your blog since you asked. :-) Not exactly sure [how], but I'll do that with a couple details and comments later, which could mean in a couple more days, haha.


    *Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt!
      We actually are going to go roller skating this Saturday, and I've never done that before - I hope it's enough like ice skating that I can catch on quick. :)


      Delete
  3. Haha, it sounds like you guys are having so much fun! Ice skating to 50s music sounds great!
    And how cool that one of Becca's roommates likes to write! Good luck with your NaNoWriMo. The first few times, 50k seems like a whole ton of words... but after a few attempts, 50k breezes by. :)
    (Great Robin Hood gif! I just watched the second season episode where the Sheriff drinks to Will's "Dear deceased dead dad Dan.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abbey!
      I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't last too long with the NaNoWriMo, I reached the goal the first few days, but then I stared feeling squeezed for time with writing, studying, and friends.
      So I'm not doing it anymore, but Beth is still going strong.
      You want to know something awesome? One of our teachers looks like BBC's Robin Hood. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you gals are enjoying yourselves! Your ice-skating evening sounds fun.
    What darling outfits! :D I like your backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you want to do a Button Swap?

    ReplyDelete

Greetings!
We love hearing comments and remarks, so leave us a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...