Thursday, January 22, 2015

Beautiful People || Author Edition || Bethany



This month's theme for the Beautiful People is the person behind the characters; the writer.

So...

Hello there!


1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?                                                                                                                                               Well, I first starting writing for creative writing assignments, probably when I was 7-8.  That grew into silly short stories such as "What To Do When You're Home Alone, Before and When Goldilocks Comes". Doesn't that sound exciting? A how-to manual for baby bears everywhere. :)  I wish I still knew where that one was... :)

 It probably wasn't until a few years ago that I actually thought of myself as a writer, even though my head has always been filled with story ideas.

2. How/why did you start writing?                                                                                                        I guess I pretty much answered this in the question above. :)
3. What’s your favorite part of writing?
The idea and research stage, I would say. Figuring out characters and story lines, and not having to worry about editing yet. I like writing dialogue too.

4. What’s your biggest writing struggle?
Staying focused. I struggle with staying with one idea until I finish it, unless it's a short story.

5. Do you write best at night or day?
I like to write in the mornings, but I have to work with whenever inspiration strikes also. :)

6. What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!) 
I write on my laptop now, which means I can write anywhere. Especially now that I'm at school, I don't have a specific place I write.
7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft? 
I haven't completed an entire draft of a novel, so I can't answer that. For short stories, however, it can vary to a few days to a few months.

8. How many projects do you work on at once?
Too many. I try to stick with one main project, but short stories and fanfics always jump in there too. While trying to work on one story, my brain thinks, "What if I wrote a story set on a 19th century sailing vessel, or a mystery in the 1960's, or what if there was an episode of Doctor Who with Charlotte Bronte? Or what if..." So I never have just one project in the works. :)

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?
In between, I think.

10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey.
Thanks to Sonlight curriculum, I grew up reading books by so many good authors, but to list just a few, Mary Ray, Elizabeth George Speare, Rosemary Sutcliff, Henry Winterfeld, and C. S. Lewis.

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?
I do, most of the time. It's good to hear what other people think, and Becca is my best help for editing. :)

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?
I would love to get a novel published. That would be very exciting.

13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?
Hmmm, I'd like to focus more on music, and learn to play the lute. I also love historical clothing, and costume design would be really neat to do. Really, I wouldn't have to stop writing to learn those things, but there's already so many things I want to do!

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet?
In terms of research, yes. I love writing historical fiction, but there is a lot to learn before delving into certain time periods. It's something I'm looking forward to as well. I have too many ideas to list a specific one.

15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go?
Well, "Long Road from Canaan" hasn't let me give up on it yet. I'm so close to finishing the first draft, I need to just push ahead and do it. There's a few other ideas in my mind that have been growing for a long time, but still need some plot elements figured out so I can get started on them.


2 comments:

  1. Bethany, This was a lot of fun to read! I love getting to sort of peek into the mind of someone devoted to their hobby. (I can totally relate to having too many projects going on at once!) Hope you girls are enjoying school! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staying focused one one project is so difficult. At any time I seem to have a million ideas buzzing around in my head, each one of them calling for attention. It's always a struggle to stick with one project and finish it before moving onto the next one.

    I'd love to try writing a historical fiction novel someday, but the process is so daunting. And there are always going to be nit-picky readers that will find all the tiny historical inaccuracies.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings!
We love hearing comments and remarks, so leave us a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...