Friday, June 20, 2014

Beautiful People - June Edition || Bethany's Characters


Over our time following other writers' blogs, I've noticed this fun link up, and always enjoyed reading about other people's characters. So I thought, hey! I should try this!

I actually haven't been working on my novel as diligently as I should, and my poor characters are feeling rather neglected. Maybe if I let them say "hello", they'll know they are not forgotten. :)

 So without further ado, my two main characters from Long Road From Canaan


1) What is their full name and is there a story behind why they got it? 
Shalin son of Danel.
Shalin doesn't have much of a story behind his name, I found it by researching lists of Canaanite kings and idols. I came across Shalim, god of dusk, and liked the sound of it. I changed the last letter to make it a bit different, and there we have it!  I think I just made up the name Danel. ;) 

2) How old are they, and when were they born? 
Shalin begins the story around the age of 18, but 4-5 years pass throughout the course of the book. I haven't figured out an exact birthday for him, but some time around 900 B.C.


3) Describe their physical appearance. (Bonus questions: 1. What is their race/nationality/ethnicity? 2. Do you have a picture of them? If so, include it!) 
Shalin is tall; 6 foot or so, lean, and athletic. He has black, wavy hair, dark tan skin, large deep brown eyes and a bright smile. He is a Phoenician, or more specifically, a Canaanite, although most of his people were destroyed by the Israelites many years before.
  Sorry, no picture.

4) Describe your character's personality first in one word, and then elaborate with a few sentences. 
Fun-loving (sorry, is that two words?). I think that sums him up pretty well. Shalin goes through a lot in his life, but he's never serious for long, is a bit of a practical joker, and he doesn't miss opportunities for having fun.

5) What theme song(s) fit their personality and story arc? 
The More, by Mikeschair fits Shalin and his story arch to perfection! The chorus is a little too repetitive, but that's just a personal pet-peeve of mine (and Becca's).

6) Which one of the seven deadly sins describes your character?
Envy.


7) If they were an element (fire, water, earth, air), which one would they be? 
Water.


8) What is their favorite word? 
I don't think he has a favorite word.
 
9) Who’s one person they really miss? (It could be someone who’s passed away, or someone they’re not close to anymore, or someone who’s moved away.)
Shalin misses his little sister, Sarina. They are a couple years apart in age, and they were very close until...well, I can't tell you!


10) What sights, sounds, and smells remind them of that person?
Pretty things like jewelery and silks, happy music, and fruit tree blossoms. 

 Inspiration Pins for Shalin:





1) What is their full name and is there a story behind why they got it? 
 Next we have Raisa, second daughter of Niran. Her name is Hebrew, and means "Rose". It's just a pretty name I found, so there's not really a story behind it.
 
2) How old are they, and when were they born?

Raisa is 16 at the beginning of the story.
 
3) Describe their physical appearance. (Bonus questions: 1. What is their race/nationality/ethnicity? 2. Do you have a picture of them? If so, include it!) 

 Raisa is 5'5", slender, long black curly hair, brown eyes with long lashes, and a tan complexion. She is an Israelite.
 
4) Describe your character's personality first in one word, and then elaborate with a few sentences. 

 Practical. Raisa tries to be very practical to help her family, and can be a bit of a pessimist. Her attitude is usually based on how her day in going, which isn't always good. She's reserved with people she doesn't know very well, is slow to trust, and gets annoyed if people (*cough, cough* Shalin), don't take her seriously.
 
5) What theme song(s) fit their personality and story arc?

 It takes Raisa some time to get to this point with Shalin, but after that, the song "I Won't Give Up" makes me think of her. I'm not familiar with the original version, but I love Emily and Amy-Joy Jost's cover of it.

6) Which one of the seven deadly sins describes your character? 

Pride.

7) If they were an element (fire, water, earth, air), which one would they be?

I'd say, earth.

8) What is their favorite word? 

 Wow, this is a hard question! I don't think Raisa has a favorite word either.

9) Who’s one person they really miss? (It could be someone who’s passed away, or someone they’re not close to anymore, or someone who’s moved away.)

First, that would be her older sister Avia, after she gets married and moves to a new home. And then it would be...Spoilers!

10) What sights, sounds, and smells remind them of that person?  

N/A

Inspirations Pins for Raisa:

3 comments:

  1. These are really interesting character descriptions! Rasia reminds me of myself. I hope to read the book some day. ;) Is this a link-up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you click on the top picture, it will take you to one of the blogs that hosts it.

      Delete
  2. That sounds really neat - love the time period

    ReplyDelete

Greetings!
We love hearing comments and remarks, so leave us a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...