Saturday, August 1, 2015

B.A.F.N

By Becca

I actually had a different acronym I was going to post about, on encouragement, but that's not what has been heavy on my heart today. 
So I am going to share B.A.F.N with you guys instead. 



This verse is simply bursting with truth! It's so rich, I'm just going to dive in and try to get every gem out into the sunlight.

First off, I love the beginning.

Be anxious for nothing.

Nothing, absoulutly nothing! 

God did not leave any loopholes in that command at all.
Any trial, any crisis, any conflict, any problem, any mistake, no matter how big or how small, God tells us to be anxious for nothing. 

Now, I am going to be honest with you.
I have a huge problem with this. I get anxious, quite frequently. Big things, little things, anything! 
*Cue anxiety!*
Many times I've held on to a problem and began aching with the weight it brings. But I keep a tight grip, grit my teeth and refuse to surrender it to my Father.

God tells His children:
"Be anxious for nothing."

"But God, this is super important to me, and I just can't help feeling this way. "

"Be anxious for nothing."

"Well, I know I'm supposed to trust in you... but, this problem is just so overwhelming, and I can't just ignore it. I can't stop thinking about it."

"Be anxious for nothing."

"I can understand if it was something I had no control over. But God, this problem is my fault. I made I really foolish mistake and maybe.... if I hold on to this a little longer, I may be able to find a way to fix it."

"Be anxious for nothing."

Why do we hold on?
It's like we're stubborn little kids, dragging these heavy burdens around. Some of us grumble and complain, and some of us are just sitting there crying because it's too hard. And our Father is looking at us, shaking His head, and He says "Stop carrying those." But then He holds out His arms and says, "Here, give your burdens to me."

It's not just that God said to "be anxious for nothing".  He tells us to give our anxieties to Him.

"But in everything by prayer and supplication, with thankgiving, let your requests be known to God;"

Pray! Pray without ceasing! Wait, that's from another post... :) 
Don't you just love prayer? I still can't quite get over the sheer awesomeness of prayer. 
 God, who has exsisted since forever, created everything, knows everything, is all powerful and holy- wants to hear from you and me! And He wants us to talk to Him all the time!
I love that. 

So in everything, we need to pray. And not just whine and cry to God, saying how hard things are or how bad we messed up this time. There's a part that I forget so easily when I try to recite it from memory. Just two little words, but God had Paul put them there all the same. 
Those two words are:"with thanksgiving".

Huh? It's Thanksgiving now? 
Turkeys and those funny looking pilgrim hats. I love stuffing though, that sounds really good right now... I'm hungry :) 
No! Not the grossly twisted national holiday that leaves you feeling like going into hibernation.
Take that word, cut it in half and switch them around: giving thanks.

When we are surrendering to God our burdens, we also should be rejoicing, praising God, counting our blessings, giving thanks, even while we bring our heartfelt requests to God. 
God is so wise. I love Him. He knows just what to do! When you're feeling worried, anxious, regretful, you are looking inward. Your eyes are turned down, your head is hanging, and all you can see is yourself and your problem. ( and sometimes they're one and the same ) 
So God tells us "chin up!"

God has given us countless things to give thanks for! Start thanking our God for the love He has given us, the grace He has shown, the mercy and compassion He showered us with- and there is so much more! Once we turn our eyes upon Jesus and step into the sunshine, our anxities start to fade into the shadows. 

But, He's not done yet. 
He gives a command, instruction, and then a promise.

"And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." 

Isn't that such a beautiful promise?

Be anxious for nothing, absolutly nothing.
By prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Give your anxities to God, and say thank you for every wonderful blessing He's given. 
And then God does the rest! 
He will stand guard over our frightened and tired hearts and protect our susceptible minds with a peace that is far beyond our comprehension. He will carry your burdrens, He will give you peace.

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

3 comments:

  1. This is a great post Becca! It spoke to me today. Anxiety is my fleshly specialty to the extreme. :P Thanks for expounding upon this scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paige! I'm glad I could share these truths. Writing this post really helped me work through my own problems. Most of the post was me telling myself what I needed to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so, so much for this encouragement Becca! You don't know how much this touched and encouraged me. I have been holding on too long to an issue that I need to just let go of. Thank you dear!

    Blessings in Him,

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete

Greetings!
We love hearing comments and remarks, so leave us a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...